Physiotherapy self referral is a system which allows you to refer yourself directly to a physiotherapist without having to see a doctor first.
Who can use this self referral form?
You can self refer yourself directly to a Community Physiotherapy Clinic via your GP surgery if:
- you are 18 years old or over
- you have any injuries or conditions affecting the joints, muscles and tendons
- you are experiencing back or neck pain.
- you are experiencing upper or lower limb joint problems
- you have a sports injury
Which patients/conditions are not accepted via self referral?
- If you are under 18 years of age
- If you have weakness, stiffness and/or poor mobility due to any neurological condition including; Stroke, Parkinson’s disease, Multiple sclerosis etc.
- If you are in a flare up of Rheumatoid arthritis or have Fibromyalgia or Ehlers Danlos Syndrome and are experiencing multiple joint pains simultaneously
- If you are in need of mobility aids such as a walking stick, crutches, frames etc.
- If you have been same for the same problem within the last 6 months
- If you are Pregnant with back pain in the 3 months before or after delivery. You will need to attend St Marys Hospital and can self refer directly by calling 0161 276 6411
If your referral is not appropriate for physiotherapy treatment it will be rejected and sent back to your GP and you will be notified by letter.
Can I refer for multiple problems?
We request that you refer for just one condition per referral. This is to keep waiting times down and improve the quality of your care. Once a physiotherapist has completed care for this condition you may then refer again for something else if necessary.
How does it work?
Fill in a physiotherapy self referral form. It is important that you complete the form fully, making sure your address and contact details are up to date and giving as much information as possible regarding your condition. Any missing information may result in a delay in you being seen.
What happens next?
Your GP surgery will check your referral before forwarding this to the community physiotherapy team. You will then be added to our waiting list. Once you are at the front of the waiting list the physiotherapy department will send you a letter requesting you to phone us and book your initial assessment.
Community Physiotherapy Clinics are based within Community Health Centres and not at the Hospital.